Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Did Farrakhan Admit Nation of Islam's Responsibility for Malcolm X's Death?

Please forgive me for being about 13 years late on this point, but if I'd never heard such a thing before then I suppose there's a good chance many of you didn't either.

This came to my attention via this Christopher Hitchens article in Slate today. The article primarily asks how sure we are that Michelle Obama isn't a rather radical influence on her husband. He cites her college thesis announcing how influenced she was by the definition of black "separationism" put forth by Stokely Carmichael and Charles Hamilton.

What jumped out at me though was his reference to a 1995 film called Brother Minister in which a secretly taped Louis Farrakhan says to a group at the Nation of Islam Temple in Chicago: "Did you teach Malcolm? . . . Did you clean up Malcolm? . . . Was Malcolm your traitor or ours? And if we dealt with him like a nation deals with a traitor, what the hell business is it of yours?"

This seems to me like something so explosive that it would have become common knowledge immediately, much less after 13 years. Half of America knows who uttered "Hymietown", but few seem to know about this?

This also turns Reverend Jeremiah Wright from a loudmouth idiot into a much darker character once his close affiliation with Farrakhan is considered.

Was anybody else aware of this?

2 comments:

Nocomme1 said...

Jed:

I've always thought Farrakhan was involved in Malcolm X's death but I think he could (and probably has) explained this quote away without much trouble (and probably even less truth) by merely saying, "I was just saying that if the people dealt with him then they dealt with him. I didn't imply that I had anything to do with it personally".

Very legalistic and almost Clintonian but it would certainly be enough to keep his evil butt out of jail.

Maytheswartzbewithyou said...

Yeah, I don't think Farrakhan would have been one of the top shot callers back that far, but I'm still surprised I never hear this detail