Monday, May 5, 2008

Gitmo The "Worst In History"?

So I was glancing through my Yahoo homepage when I saw a headline saying a freed Sudanese cameraman declared Gitmo the worst jail in history.

My first thought was why in the world would Yahoo make such an obviously egregious exaggeration one of their five or six headlines? Though in retrospect I suppose I know the answer. The second thought I had flashed back to "Midnight Express".

Let's get this straight: This man is from one of if not the lowliest country in the world; a country in which slavery still exists and in which a full fledged mass genocide has been going now for years. Still it is "news" when he decides to denounce the Taj Mahal of prisons as history's worst.

I decided to do a search for info on Sudanese prisons for comparison's sake and here is what I found from the BBC:

-Firstly the Sudanese govt. has long refused any international inspection of their prisons, which is certainly not a good sign.

-The Sudan co-ordinator of Justice Africa states that "inmates are treated like slaves".

-There are no beds and no clean drinking water while many prisons lack showers or toilets.

-On top of all that there are no roofs on the prisons, so inmates are exposed to the African sun with the only relief coming from sheets.

It appears there really is nothing so ridiculous that it can't be overlooked by liberals when making America look bad is at stake.

Yahoo should really think a little harder about the intelligence of their readers before trying to pass this stuff off.

**Thanks to Weasel Zippers for linking to this post.**

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised, Yahoo and the AP are both rife with liberal scumbags.

Nice site BTW. Found it via WZ.

Maytheswartzbewithyou said...

Well thank you.