Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Man Who Made Me a Conservative

About six-and-a-half years ago I was just out of college and pretty much politically ambivalent. If anything I leaned Democrat just because my family and community did. I even voted for our abysmal, current Democratic governor in 2002 over what I then saw as his correct position in opposition to school vouchers.

Though my years in the school district might have eventually done the job without him, I can credit my conversion to conservatism largely to one man: Thomas Sowell.

I recall I was flipping through our local newspaper and came across the uncharted territory of the "Opinion" section. I must have been bored because I set in to an article by Dr. Sowell.

I don't recall the topic, I just remember that it made so much sense I read it several times. To make a long story short I've read every article since, as well as the majority of his books. He is, in my opinion, the most formidable living American intellectual and a national treasure.

Read today's Thomas Sowell article and you'll see how his no-nonsense style and knack for attacking politically incorrect issues with common sense can open eyes.

Then I strongly urge you to watch this series of short (5 min.) "Uncommon Knowledge" interviews with Dr. Sowell called "Facts and Fallacies". You won't be disappointed:

Part 1: Feminist Rhetoric vs. Reality

Part 2: Lying With Income Statistics

Part 3: Problems With College Professors

Part 4: Soaring Tuition

Part 5: Black Crime Rates

1 comment:

Nocomme1 said...

Jed:

I was a conservative before I became aware of Dr. Sowell but there are few people I respect more. Not only is he gifted with an extraordinary mind but he has a genuine talent for explaining the complex in simple, clear terms.

He's a national treasure.