Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Third Graders Plotting Murder

Few things bother me more than seeing bad parenting in action. Perhaps it's true that many parents of past generations were a little too distant and overly stern, but it's my opinion that the pendulum has since swung way too far towards parents who are obsessed with being "cool".

I can't count the number of times I've cringed while overhearing parents of all ages swear freely around their children. Those same parents also seem to be the same ones who will bend over backwards to accomodate said childrens' demands, no matter how ill advised or inappropriate.

Today I got a huge helping of "Whoa!" on the bad parenting front. The whopper being the story of nine third graders who planned (rather thoroughly) to subdue and stab their teacher. The students went so far as to bring a steak knife, duct tape, and handcuffs to school while also delegating tasks like covering the windows and cleaning up the blood. This was supposedly in retaliation for a scolding one student received for standing on his chair.

There is so much wrong here, but the first question that jumps out at me is "Aren't these kids scared of what their parents would do to them?". For me, as a child any punishment I got at school was secondary to what I would get at home. Disrespect towards a teacher was out of the question. Had I plotted possible murder I probably wouldn't be here writing this now. These students, like so many today, were at the very least not afraid of their parents' consequences enough to factor that in.

The second question that jumps out at me is "How entitled do you have to feel and how unaccustomed to rejection/discipline to you have to be to think stabbing someone is an equal reaction to it?" Sure there's some nutty kids out there, but a group of nine that all agreed to this idea???

The blame for this can be evenly split between schools and parents. In today's schools self-esteem and self-righteousness are overflowing while consequences are pathetically lacking - particularly for students who receive the waaaaaayyy overutilized "special education" label as some of these kids apparently did. They can plot a somewhat sophisticated assualt plan and probably know every song on the pop charts by heart, but they can't remember how to add? Sounds convenient. The "special-ed" label comes with more money from the state and federal government for schools so it's no wonder it's so outrageously abused.

These "special-ed" students then find themselves largely immune to punishment due to their designation. In one case at the high school where my father taught somebody stuffed a paper in the gas tank of the assistant principal and lit it on fire in an attempt to blow up his car. The student was caught when the fire blew out and the paper was found to have his name on it. Unfortunately the student could not be expelled because...you guessed it: Special-Ed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall when you were in junior high, a cousin of yours brought a weapon to school for a pre-meditated fight. However, the other fight participant let the school know and your cousin was suspended when he showed up with a weapon. How is this different? Where was his fear of his parents?

Maytheswartzbewithyou said...

Older students have a lot less to fear from their parents. They don't completely depend on their parents for their social life, toys, etc., and also are unlikely to fear physical punishment (ie. spanking).

It should also go without saying that third-graders should still be in somewhat of a naive state of mind and could only comprehend and devise such a plan if they were exposed to television or movies with something similar.

TC said...

It seems that you are falling back on the classic liberal technique of blaming the mass media for the actions of un- or poorly supervised children. This is the first step down the slippery slope of demanding that there be increased Federal oversight of what these children have been watching, and nobody wants that.

Maytheswartzbewithyou said...

No, I'm blaming parenting. There's already parental controls and TV ratings in place. That slope has already been slipped upon.

Notice I didn't even mention the media in the post.

winner12 said...

So many unanswered questions here. What did the teacher do to make the kids plot against her? Not saying that her reprimanding a student deserves the plotting of her death, but maybe she was constantly picking on this student or reprimanded her so severely that it impacted the others and made them want to stick up for her. I don't know I was not there. I know one thing for a fact. There were some cunning, brilliant minds here at work. Stop blaming and pointing the finger (especially when only half the facts are present) at the parents. These minds, if cultivated properly, would be minds of great leaders. It is also a fact that kids with behavioral problems are put in special ed because teacher don't want to deal with "bad" kids not because they are truly in need of special education. There are many unanswered variables here. REad a book, raise a child, and get a clue!

Maytheswartzbewithyou said...

winner12,

To quote myself from the article: "The blame for this can be evenly split between schools and parents."

So you're telling me that parents who let their "cunning and brilliant" children stay in special ed classes don't deserve any blame?

Please.

I've spent over four years in the classroom and can assure you that the bulk of all problems in schools originate with the parents.

And: "What did the teacher do to make the kids plot against her?"
What are you thinking?

winner12 said...

I specifically said that the teacher did not deserve to be plotted against. What I am saying is that she must of either repeatedly repremended that child to the point where the other children may have felt the need to take up for their classmate or maybe she abused her authority and was too harsh. Something she did must have really provoked hate from these kids. Who was the ring leader? Many times one strong minded, manipulative child can sway others to do as told. the story is sad all the way around, but to blame the parents is going too far. Also the teacher was about to retire. she may be set in her ways and not tolerant anymore. I don't know. My whole point is that we were not there and to just blame the parents is not sufficient. You were a teacher for years. I have 23 yrs of experience working with children as well as a masters in nursing and I specialize in the field of mental health. I think you have some catching up to do!

winner12 said...

I specifically said that the teacher did not deserve to be plotted against. I am not crazy. What I AM saying is that there are too many unanswered questions here to judge. The teacher must of either repeatedly reprimanded that child to the point where the other children may have felt the need to take up for their classmate or maybe she abused her authority and was too harsh with her words. Something she did must have really provoked hate from these kids. Also who was the ring leader? Many times one strong minded, manipulative child can sway others to do as told. The story is sad all the way around, but to blame the parents is going too far. Also the teacher was about to retire. She may be set in her ways and not tolerant of the children anymore. I don't know. My whole point is that we were not there and to just blame the parents is not sufficient. You were a teacher for 4 years? I have 23 yrs of experience working with children as well as a masters in nursing and I specialize in the field of mental health. I think you have some catching up to do!

Maytheswartzbewithyou said...

While I was a teacher for only 4 years, it was enough time for me to realize that whatever those people working with children for the previous 23 years (or more) were teaching them was wrong and leading them down a path that would end badly (say plotting to murder teachers, shooting each other, never learning to read, swearing blue streaks, etc.)

winner12 said...

I see its personal now. I don't teach children. I need at least 6 figures. Not enough money in teaching for me. I am a mental health nurse practicioner. my point is that these kids planned, plotted at such a young age. If these minds were cultivated differently, their goals would be much different. Why don't you start a community program to mentor at risk children as I have. Oh I guess you've done your part by having a useless blog. All I can saw is have a nice life and WOW!